Thread: metal roof?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-13, 01:15 PM   #6
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
Replacement with a metal roof is very tempting. The use of thicker 26 G metal (as opposed to the thinner 29 G) is wise. And a metal roof gives me ~ a 25% discount on my annual insurance bill.

But the cost to do this is about double ($400/sq) that of a three tab ($250/sq). Here is the question. Metal material cost (panels, screws, trim, etc.) is about $160-$180/sq and I can put the metal roof on top of the single layer of damaged shingles (no tear off needed).

How hard is it to put up an "R panel" type metal roof? I have read the internet sites, but am wondering if any on the site have tackled this? I have not.
We have a metal ~"pro-panel" roof http://ecorenovator.org/forum/renova...t-shingle.html and have been VERY happy with it. We paid a pro to install the roof, so I can't comment on how hard it is to do. We also had the old asphalt shingles stripped off, but that was for necessary roof deck repairs.

But, I am sold on the benefits of a metal roof:
  • Durability - 25 years+
  • Cool Roof - We chose the "galvalume" finish which is a cool roof color (there are many other "cool" colors). The roofer installed a ridge vent and I added insulation trays to the eave vents which help keep roof deck cool above the attic insulation.
  • Rainwater collection - Metal roofs are non-toxic and shed nearly 100% of rainwater for collection.
  • Look - We like the look, but that is certainly subjective.

Living in tornado alley and with hot OK summers, I would think that a cool metal roof would be a worthwhile investment if you intend to stay in the house. Use the DOE Cool Roof Calculator for Low-Slope or Flat Roofs to get an estimate of what a cool roof could save you in cooling costs.

FWIW,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TimJFowler; 06-03-13 at 01:20 PM..
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote