Thread: metal roof?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-13, 08:39 AM   #5
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
The only metal roofs that I've found to be loud are in pole sheds where you are looking at the underside of the steel, I work in a metal building with insulation and it's very quite and put metal shingles on a handful of houses and they are quite as well, even my parent barn is quite because the metal is over a layer of asphalt shingles.
I put aluminum shingles on over a cedar shingle roof, with skip sheathing below that and about 6 inches of rigid foam below that.

In all honesty, I have to say that my metal roof is not nearly as quiet as composition roofing. In a heavy large-drop rain, you can hear the individual rain drops when they hit the aluminum... Pat, pat, pat has become tink, tink, tink.

Having said that, there is no way that I'd ever go back to another composition roof.

I have thought a lot about if I had it to do over again, what I might do differently... and especially since the life of a metal roof is so long, and you don't need to worry about subsequent layers of careless nails being driven in over the roof assembly, I really wish I had put PEX under the metal roof, on the sunny faces of the roof, to capture some of the sun's heat energy. It would have been invisible, easy, cheap and safe from damage and deterioration. By now, I would have enjoyed more than 15 years of free water pre-heat... and the accompanying cooling effect in the summer.

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 06-03-13 at 08:43 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
Mobile Master Tech (06-05-13)