View Single Post
Old 01-17-12, 12:02 PM   #182
pachai
Renovator-in-planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo NR Gee View Post
Has any of you used the foil backed foam board for the staple up plates on the radiant floor heating?
I don't know how well that would work, as the plates serve two purposes....conducting the heat and holding the pipes in place.

It *does* make sense to me to use the foiled insulation in addition to the plates, to cut heat "loss." That would make heat circulation more real time. But I put the loss in quotes,
because (except perhaps in the basement), the tubes are in the heating envelope. If they "lose" the heat, where is it likely to go? ...Into the thermal mass of the structure...
(my opinion).

BTW, I don't have the thremostat wired up yet,
so based on the day's performance, I set the pump up for a 50% duty cycle. My pump is plugged into a widget that delivers 110V only when it gets 1vdc-12vdc....so I can use a thermostat in the future, but for now, I shorted the wires, and plugged the transformer for the relay widget into a 24-hour timer so every other on/off setting is on - approx 50% duty cycle.
It's too much, it was hot in the affected area this morning. (Thermostat:tonite? :-)
pachai is offline   Reply With Quote