View Single Post
Old 09-26-10, 07:49 PM   #10
knowbodies
Home Improvement Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
If you want to be fair, you'd include the HDD enclosure's idle power consumption as well, which is probably the 1-3W standby draw of its power brick.
I am being fair . It's 2.5in hard drive powered through the USB port. It has no power brick. Maximum power draw according to Western Digital is 2.5W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
I record several shows off of streaming radio stations using mplayer, which dumps them as WAV files. I then use lame to encode them to mp3, which I can then download and put on my mp3 player.
I think it's too underpowered for that. A sheevaplug is probably a better bet but DO NOT PURCHASE FROM GLOBAL SCALE TECHNOLOGIES. Ahem, sorry for shouting but they hadn't shipped 2 months after I ordered from them. I had to get my credit card company involved before they would respond to my emails. And their phone system went either in circles or to dead air.

On another note, I'm looking at using reducing the reducing the amount of time the harddrive is spun-up by writing torrents to the flash drive and copying them to the main drive only when complete. I'll need to see what kind of scripts are available for Transmission-BT though. Otherwise the hard drive spins almost 24/7.
knowbodies is offline   Reply With Quote