View Single Post
Old 09-26-10, 02:38 PM   #8
Clev
Wannabe greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowbodies View Post
$41 seems a bit expensive, I picked up mine off Ebay for $35 shipped. The drive was $150 though. I'm not sure what you mean by mplayer/lame support, there are no audio or video outputs. It should stream without a problem though after adding the correct software. There are a bunch of debian packages available.
I record several shows off of streaming radio stations using mplayer, which dumps them as WAV files. I then use lame to encode them to mp3, which I can then download and put on my mp3 player.

To answer the previous question, I work it IT, so I also use my home server as a machine I can remote into to troubleshoot my work network. If somebody claims they can't get to a website from the office, for instance, I can remote into the home machine and try to get to the site from there. If that doesn't work, I know it's the remote site and not my work network. I also use my home server for backing up my home machines, occasionally as a Bittorrent client when a new version of CentOS or Ubuntu becomes available, as a central music repository, etc.

I used to use a 125ish-watt desktop for this purpose, and then came across a 900 MHz laptop (11 watts) with a broken screen on eBay for a song. I've since upgraded to the more power-hungry 12-13 watter I use now.
Clev is offline   Reply With Quote