View Single Post
Old 03-15-13, 02:56 PM   #12
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I agree with Drake that the experience of others benefits us all. One thing that was really good to hear was that Steve layed the tubing on its side and got really good results. All the manufactures claim that you have to have it vertically to get good even capillary action. That doesn't make sense to me. If you have it near horizontal instead you won't get that smooth action but it seems to me the results will even out in the end. The water will run slower so it seems like the heat would transfer just as well. It would go to the bottom of the tube and then conduct from the bottom to the entire circumference because copper is a good heat conductor. Steve's empirical results are encouraging because I don't have that much of a vertical drop to work with.

I'm also thinking of doing the same thing with the dishwasher. Since my house is pretty much torn apart right now I can put in a drain line for it that is separate from the kitchen sink drain line. The only problem I see is how to get a P-trap in there that is close enough to the wall to not interfere with the dishwasher.
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote