View Single Post
Old 11-23-15, 05:42 PM   #20
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I am trying it tonight for the first time, so we shall see how it goes over. Does any one have any tips/ideas?

I've been using one, actually an electric mattress pad, for maybe a decade +.

I don't heat my bed room ever...

I formerly used a hacked coffee pot timer, to turn the bed on an hour before I got in (it tuned itself off after 2 hours). The electric blanket designs that I can find now have controllers that go to "off" when the is a circuit interruption... So my timer that worked out so well, doesn't work with the new blankets.

I should add that my bed is covered with wonderful goose down comforter(s).

I also have gotten a memory foam bed which I really like. Various memory foam beds have various sensitivities to temperature. The really good ones are highly temperature sensitive.

This presents a hard problem in a room that is not heated, because the bed is cold and hard when you get in, and takes a very long time to warm up and soften up. I didn't know that hell could be so cold.

I tried an electric mattress pad with it, and it worked OK but there was still the 'sleeping on wires' thing.

My current fix, which worked well last winter, is to put a 2" memory foam slab on top of the pad which is on the bed. Sort of an electric bed sandwich.

This works out just great, no more sleeping on wires, the memory foam is working just as it should.

I have the dial adjusted to just enough that the bed does not feel cold when I get in.

On most nights, I turn off the pad when I get in, and the goose down does the rest.

On savagely cold nights, I leave the pad on lowest possible setting.

-AC