View Single Post
Old 05-08-12, 03:55 PM   #52
S-F
You Ain't Me

Have any of the people here who are advocating smaller than recommended ventilation rates spent any length of time in a house that's really tight with the HRV turned off? Like spending two days and a night.

At any rate, this is all academic as I suspect just about everyone in this thread doesn't have a house that needs mechanical ventilation. If any of the nay sayers do get their houses down to really low blower door levels you can always install the recommended size HRV and then set it on a lower speed until you realize that you feel much better running it as everyone else suggests. You run it on a lower speed at night any way.

You guys do know that you can control the speed..... Right? You install a switch on a wall somewhere. What's the problem with having the recommended size HRV? If you burn your rice and it's -10 outside you just turn up the fan instead of opening a window. Opening a window works but you loose more heat that by moving the air. Just like with cooking and bath exhaust. Sure you can just open the window in the bathroom when you shower in the winter but more heat will be lost than by moving air via a fan for the same amount of time. Personally I plan on getting one that's larger than recommended.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."

Last edited by S-F; 05-08-12 at 04:09 PM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote