Thread: Eco-Garage
View Single Post
Old 06-13-15, 07:57 PM   #19
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Here's a few snapshots of the drawing I had made up.

The idea is that the new garage would be 5 feet wider and 7 feet deeper than the original. This also gives me space for a man door on the left. Nice for going in and out the garage without needed to have a large overhead door open.

Garage doors themselves may or may not have windows. I do sort of like the idea on Builditsolar with the glazing for winter heating (http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...tor/garcol.htm) although that is sort of "semi-permanent". I might be able to do something like that on the one garage door but not the other. That way, I could easily get one car in and out but still have some good solar gain on the other.

Also, here's a photo of the house, so you can see how I'm trying to match the garage to the house to make it look nice.

As far as a metal roof goes for the garage, I'm thinking that either silver or a light green would work. The house has asphalt dimensional shingles, which are sort of a gray with a little green in it. I think that silver standing seam would be best for staying cool, which is good for the solar panels, but a light green might look nicer without getting too hot. I'm tempted to find some samples of metal, paint them, leave them in the sun and check how hot they get on a sunny day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote