View Single Post
Old 01-20-14, 09:35 AM   #27
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech View Post
Here's what the hail storm of 2010 did in our neighbourhood, there were several holes in my roof the size of that in the 1st photo. That would be one tough solar panel not to have broken in that storm !!
I took a look at the picture of the roof. First, shingles have no resistance to moving objects so it's up to underlayment, how thick is that OSB? It looks very thin, that's a very poorly constructed roof. In the North East we have a 40# sq./ft code. The garage built in 2006 runs 16" on center with 5/8 exterior plywood underlayment. That hail would very likely not penetrated my roof.
What's your roof code? Did other people in your neighborhood have that kind of roof damage?

Also I recommended tilting the modules when weather centers predict storms. That's not to say that hail wouldn't damage modules but there are measures and I'm sure there are people in your state with PV systems.

How often do you get storms like that? It seems to me that roof codes would not permit your roof if that was the normal condition.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote