View Single Post
Old 11-26-12, 11:48 PM   #1346
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
...I had purchased a TXV off ebay for a 3-4 ton air conditioner and I didn't realize not all are adjustable. I thought what the heck I have it now, I will install it maybe I'll get lucky. It's preset during manu., so maybe it will work. NOT.

After installation and purging the air from the loop and air handler the compressor wouldn't give a pressure differential. Damm. The TXV was installed with fittings so it could be removed and replaced with another or hacked. I guess at his point happiness was the pesky little leak was cured!!!

I disassembled the TXV and figured how to make it adjustable by combining a stem from a gate valve and the internal adjustment spool. The new TXV was installed system vacuumed and tested for leakage. All good. Reloaded the refrigerant and turned it on. It is suprising how sensitive the adjustments can be...

This is really some great hacking going on here!

I'd say that it is right up there with Brad_C's stepper-motor controlled electronic expansion valve, and the controller and software he cooked up to control it.

Great hacking, absolutely!

Best,

-AC