View Single Post
Old 10-15-10, 09:11 PM   #3
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
That is 4,164 kWh per day!?!?! Is my math off? That sounds like an incredible amount of power for one retail store.
Next time you're in a drug store or auto parts store, do a quick count of the number of fluorescent lamps on the sales floor, then multiply by 30W per tube, which is .72KWh/d per tube. You will end up with an unbelievably large electric bill, probably over $1000/mo. But the scientists and bean counters at corporate are correct, people have a better impression of a store with a brighter sales floor, and they come back more often.

Adding in refrigeration, HVAC, and other small loads, your math sounds pretty good to me for a Sam's.

Now on the matter of small scale turbines at Wal-Mart: I call gimmick. They're just trying to get some green cred (and maybe some wind turbine sales) with these highly visible, small scale turbines. If they wanted to make maximum environmental impact for their dollar, they'd shut up and go build a large scale wind project, or maybe put a MW turbine on the roof of a store in North Dakota instead of a few dozen KW scattered here and there.

Oh, and good on them for trying to look green, I guess.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote