View Single Post
Old 05-21-17, 11:35 AM   #1
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Thermal storage and water to water heat pump

So the house we are closing on in the next week or two has very old hvac system. They are dated 1992. Both the propane furnace and the ac both work well and are in amazing shape for their age. So this got me thinking about geothermal. The house in on 5 mostly flat acres with some trees in a very rural setting. That being said we don't have natural gas, just public water and electric.

The house is brick and was build in 75. The previous edit owners have put pella windows in it and insulated everything pretty well already. The house was build with a typical concrete cistern tank. The owners built a very nice 4 season room on top of it. The pump and bladder tank are still in the basement next to the wall of he cistern. I however do not know the condition on the cistern tank. I estimate it at about 10-14000 gallon tank. Outside dimensions are 12x20 and the basement walls are 9' tall.

I ran across a thermal storage website called Thermal Battery Systems | Site-sourced thermal energy management. This guy also has a YouTube channel from a few years ago https://youtu.be/jfORIfCbxQA

So this got me thinking. Fill the cistern up with water attach a water to water geothermal unit to it and a hydronic air handler. Leaning towards not installing any kind of ground loop. Also we have an above ground pool of about 12k gallon also. I thought about hooking it up to the geothermal in the summer with some kind of temp setting that would switch between the cistern and the pool so the pool doesn't get to hot. The reason why I say water to water with the hydronic air handler is for easier more efficient way to use something like an outdoor wood boiler or in my particular case a wast motor oil boiler.

I've done a very rough heat load at 24k ac and 35k for heating.

Thoughts?

Fordguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote