View Single Post
Old 01-19-12, 10:03 AM   #10
S-F
You Ain't Me

So the joists are actually in the foundation? That's really weird. I know people do that to sister up old joists. It's easier to just cut through the rim joist and slide the new floor joist in than it is to try putting one (or one cut in half) over a large support beam. In your case it looks like you don't have a rim joist or a sil plate. I don't understand what's going on there to be honest. Your foam has it's work cut out for it. The only way to escape from the thermal bridging there is to outsulate. And why aren't you going to go the two part foam route? It's cheaper than getting a bunch of cans and it's certainly cheaper and much more effective than using great stuff. That stuff isn't really that great.

Also I recommend that you use either foil faced polyiso or XPS unless your foundation is bone dry all the time, year round, 365, for years and years and so on.

And that wiring! I'm not a strict proponent of following all the electrical or building codes if you don't need to but that's pretty bad. I'd be worried about fire.

Nice progress. Keep us posted.

Last edited by S-F; 01-19-12 at 10:06 AM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote