View Single Post
Old 03-18-14, 08:44 PM   #14
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Window units don't have published SEER values. They only publish the EER value, which is at a single outdoor temperature and single indoor dry and web bulb temperature. It is a single condition test. For an energy star unit at 10.7 EER, the SEER rating would likely be around about 12 depending on the specific unit. The fun part is that the EER value can be whichever fan speed the manufacturer decides to use, it isn't regulated. So whatever gives the 8000BTUhr output at those conditions will be the fan speed selected and its corresponding EER rating given. I think they are working on making the highest efficiency settings the default settings for energy star compliance for the newest models if they have electronic controls as opposed to mechanical switches. Not sure if that has made it through yet or not.

...but no matter which way I look at it, your unit is underperforming energy star significantly, especially since it is circulating 73 degree air. I have a 10.7 EER rated 5350BTUhr air conditioner and churning 70 degree air inside it only draws between 400-430 watts depending on fan speed. The fan uses 60 or 70 watts depending on default fan speed or high.

Regarding the same temperature output at different fan speeds, on a single shaft fan, you increase the speed of the condenser and the evaporator airflow at the same time, so heat rejection in both places increases. If you could measure airflow you could calculate the EER for your operating conditions.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote