View Single Post
Old 10-26-14, 01:23 AM   #6
SDMCF
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Sounds like a couple of devices I tried.

The first was something I was given. It had a clamp that was supposed to go around the incoming supply cable. It had no user interface but all the data was sent to a base station attached to a PC. It gave good information but only had 1 clamp so could only be used for a single phase supply. My home has a 3-phase supply so it was of limited use. I had it monitoring my office usage for a while, but found I wasn't getting anything out of it and now it is gathering dust on a shelf.

The second is something I got from my electricity supplier, on a 1-month trial. It had to be rented for permanent use. This monitored the light pulses from the meter. It had a nifty little display unit that gave a load of information, but limited data comms capability. That device was useful during the month I had it and I found a couple of surprising users of electricity that I was not aware of. I didn't think it was worth a monthly rental though, and I returned it at the end of the trial period.

It would be interesting to get your first impressions of your device. It would also be interesting if you could post back in 6 months time about how useful it is after the novelty has worn off.
SDMCF is offline   Reply With Quote