View Single Post
Old 08-05-09, 06:47 PM   #12
roflwaffle
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandcruiser View Post
I've got an old sony laptop w/ a tiny HDD and 512mb ram
I'd like to run it as an entertainment server: mostly music. iTunes won't even install due to lack of processor power and/or RAM.

what about *nix OS w/ ??? for music? I'd like something a little more GUI than not for the music as i'm not the only one using it.
Most desktop stuff under *nix will run fine w/ half a gig of ram. I'm getting away with 128mb, although it uses a ton of swap (half a gig) and can grind to a halt w/o screwing w/ the memory parameters. For music I like mpd, but there are quite a few choices out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalass
I thought excessive use of swap would kill a spinning hard drive, due to the extra use it gets wears out things and all that. Whereas a SSD has no moving parts, and electrons don't wear out when they're shuffled around a few extra times.
Writes seem to be the big limit when looking at SD stuff, so even a newer card can wear out in a couple years if it's always being used for swap on a machine that doesn't have much space for ram. Otoh, I'm not sure how much swap use impacts hard drive life, so I don't have anything to compare to.
roflwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote