View Single Post
Old 08-08-13, 09:20 PM   #25
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

When we moved into this house we kept it about 80-82 but as we have replaced all the windows and all but one of the doors we are now able to keep it at a more comfortable 76 and the KWH usage is the same or sometimes less than it was with the old windows.
When it cools off I'll be adding more insulation in the attic and that will help I also plan to put in a new AC in the spring next year as well which will enable us to keep the house a a more comfortable 74 or so.

With our 100*+ every day and the lows at night that barely hit 80 and only sub 85 for about 2 hours a night it's a constant battle trying to keep cool. Not to mention the dew point is always above 70* except one day early this summer it was a cool 95* and 20% humidity. I thought it was 85*. I had forgotten what dry air was...

With a proper sized system you set the temp and forget it. Letting the temp warm up during the day while you are away does nothing but make for an uncomfortable house when you get home because the system isn't capable of removing all that heat, it's designed to maintain temp which requires smaller equipment. You also end up increasing the humidity in the house which the AC also has to pull out before any real cooling can be done. Not good for the house or furniture. Your AC is the little engine that could not a dragster. Always maintain steady states with no drastic changes.
Even many of the govt studies have finally shown there is little to no savings from setback thermostats.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote