View Single Post
Old 07-16-13, 06:20 AM   #47
OutbackAuzz
Lurking Renovator

Well don't know where I've been but found myself back here.
Earlier post mentioned Evacuated tube hot water, which I've since purchased a 24 tube and hooked it up myself as they say you can, rather easy. $1200 all up went for these as the flat pack black polly tube is old school. These are passive trackers and they heat the water from cold, to easy 80 deg C in a day. I wanted this system, as I have left the electric element in place, and can turn the Circuit B on, on sunless days to boost the temp. Actually at night with the cheaper rate. As for the Gov't supporting PV hot water, there is actually few systems like that here, as the only cost with the Evac tube is the initial outlay, the are no others. The Gov't would pay for ANY solar system, only if the old electric system was removed. I didn't want that.
Maybe this will annoy others, but we haven't had a power bill now for three quarters, we have had three credits, including our first winter credit. First Quarter was $54, second $27, third including 1 1/2 mths winter was $6. Since then I have had installed a fully gas stove, so I'm looking for to the next invoice. So with the 2.1kw solar array pumping into the grid and getting .44c a kWh exporting, and us paying .22c kWh importing until 2028 I'm glad we jumped on the band wagon. They say in 2006 there were 108 houses with solar on the roof, in 2013 1.2 million houses. :-)))))

Last edited by OutbackAuzz; 07-16-13 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: spelling
OutbackAuzz is offline   Reply With Quote