View Single Post
Old 11-06-17, 12:03 PM   #80
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
How many amps are you going to be running through that wire? Have you looked distant and amp charts?
You need to be careful about voltage rise. The inverter will increase the voltage to feed it back to the grid. If you have too much voltage rise from using wire not suited for that distance it will just shut down the inverter.

Here this explains some on voltage drop and why it is important
Episode 5 pt 1: Voltage Drop and Wire Sizing for Solar - Affordable Solar

Wire sizing
Wire Sizing Tools and Resources - Affordable Solar
I looked and read through that one . I understand voltage drop . But voltage gain. Im not sure im getting . Unless its the voltage from inverter trying to meet voltage spikes .

The amount of voltage looks like this is perfect scenario . 240 volts output Ac. 350 v input dc according to solar edge . I have 22 230 watt panels. \
So 14.4571 amps dc 15-20 amps would be a theroretical max . To my understanding this almost never happens to pull a max power.

Im reading this
Code-Compliant Conductor Sizing | SolarPro Magazine

And its saying artical 701.1b and things as this instead of plain english and using common sense for most of it .

Seems like if im thinking right that if i ran dc to the house to the meter it would be more efficient with the wire 1 due to voltage. The mppt im not really fully understanding . But 350 volts is whats needed to turn on the inverter if i used a 10-8guage wire i should be fine . With wiring ive always assumed bigger was better.
I ran a simulation for a voltage drop with 350 volts . This was its results .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 conductors per phase utilizing a #8 Copper conductor will limit the voltage drop to 0.89% or less when supplying 15.0 amps for 150 feet on a 350 volt system.
For Engineering Information Only:
40.0 Amps Rated ampacity of selected conductor
0.7421 Ohms Resistance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
0.052 Ohms Reactance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
3.5 volts maximum allowable voltage drop at 1%
3.108. Actual voltage drop loss at 0.89% for the circuit
0.9 Power Factor
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote