View Single Post
Old 11-04-17, 05:37 PM   #77
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
So for roofing conduit . Is there any code or anything that says that the conduit must be a certain type . Just not sure what to use for the roof portion and where needs to have the conduit and type
For my micro-inverter system, I looked closely at what the micro-inverter trunk cable is, and duplicated the specifications of it. Trunk cable is four conductor sunlight and oil resistant jacketed 12AWG tray cable, which I supported between the rails on custom fabricated and painted aluminum support bars (1/8"x3/4" aluminum flat stock) that I simply screwed to the rails. I then used stainless tie wraps to lash the tray cable to my support bars. (plastic tie wraps didn't have the life expectancy I wanted for the system).

In my case, when I needed to transition cable types on the roof, I went through a Hoffman fiberglass enclosure with UL Listed industrial wire terminals. When my inspectors looked at the connection boxes and didn't find wire nuts, they were impressed by the fact that it looks like it fell out of some industrial installation. When I transitioned from stranded 12AWG trunk cable to the solid 10/3+G UF wire in the attic, I went through more industrial wire terminals inside a PVC junction box.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote