View Single Post
Old 10-27-14, 01:49 AM   #67
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgottapee View Post
google reflectix insulation, just another company selling foil bubble wwrap, [i'm not recomending their product] but one of the first and distributed it in stores so they got sued a lot, and via settlement started posting honest installed Rvalues. Look at there installed listings, like Attic, Crawl Space, etc for effective installed values. I believe they have a whole house charts showing examples used all over [keep in mind it's restricted to their specific conditions.]

google how radiant barriers work and you'll get the same concepts. from reputable sources. or google 'convection, conduction, radiation heat energy' to get a low down on heat transfer.
Building Science Corporation is probably one of the best sites for actual real building science; plenty of case studies, and i'm sure an explanation there.

you won't find a lot of info because most reputable building sources understand that there isn't much advantage except for very specific cases to use such radiant barriers, and there are often tricky details to manage. Rvalues for most radiant barriers going up, or horizontal in walls are similar to common insulation that is often cheaper and easier to install. It only became popular as disreputable firms could crank the stuff out cheap and make confusing claims - it is in no way new. It's why common foil backed poly-iso has never had the wild Rvalue claims for the radiant barrier, as it was produced by large reputable firms, although it can be used to achieve additional Rvalue.

just remember a radiant barrier is intended to prevent heat transfer via radiation due to the low emittance of the radiant barrier, ie the low ability to radiate heat from itself.
There is a possibility that you are right... but I strongly doubt it.

You have no link to any source of credible information that will support your point of view.

You can not cite any specific experimental evidence that will support your assertions either.

And you want me to Google, and keep on Googling until I am convinced that you are correct?

I'm afraid that you are not making a strong argument to support your point.

And using the outcome of a lawsuit as a proof of scientific truth? Oh boy...

My father was a lawyer, and a very good lawyer, but even he would never confuse the outcome of a legal dispute with scientific truth. He knew the game of law too well.

If you really do think that legal outcomes prove science, then the Scopes trial proves that Charles Darwin's theory of evolution is heresy and no school should be allowed to teach points of view that can't be found in the bible.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 10-27-14 at 01:51 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote