View Single Post
Old 10-07-19, 03:33 PM   #354
Daox
Administrator

It has been 10 years now that my battery electric lawn mower has been used to cut my lawn, haul brush, and do other miscellaneous tasks. Woohoo!

Lately, I've been contemplating going over the mower and doing some updates. The biggest one I've been contemplating lately is battery related. Yes, I am thinking about upgrading to lithium ion batteries. The prices have come down plenty now and for not much more than the price of lead, I can get gently used lithium ion. This also means that I can increase the battery capacity and run time. The lead acid does the job, but a little more would be a nice benefit. Also, it would be even easier on the batteries to have more capacity.

The cells I'm currently thinking of getting are theses:

These are a used 10.95V 26.5AH 3S5P lithium ion battery. 4 of these in series would give me a 44V nominal battery. Pretty close to the 48V nominal from the lead acid pack. But, I was also thinking I'd put 4 in parallel as well. This would give me a pack capacity of 4.6 kWh vs the current 3.8 kWh. If you take into account the usable capacity boost of going from 50% to 80% with lithium you're now looking at a usable capacity increase of nearly 200%!

So, what is the cost of this battery? I'm looking at $480 plus shipping. The lead acid pack costs $320. Not much more to go for lithium plus 20% pack capacity (not to mention usable capacity of going from 50% DOD to 80%).

I highly recommend any of you guys messing around with batteries check out the place I am looking at. Its called Battery Hookup. They buy used cells, capacity test them, and then resell them for a fraction of retail prices. They don't have a gigantic selection, but their prices are really great.

Note: These are affiliate links. I haven't used Battery Hookup yet, but the feedback I've seen online is pretty good.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 10-08-19 at 11:55 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote