View Single Post
Old 11-10-16, 06:41 AM   #79
stevehull
Steve Hull

Roostre,

We appreciate your frustration. But why did you feel you needed to get a "local solar place" to do your "engineering" and permitting?

There is a lot of expertise on this site - and for free!

I would immediately (today) ask the city what you need for a permit. I get permits like this all the time. They typically want a copy of the technical specifications/install book, a simple drawing of the system (mechanical and electrical), pictures of the roof, the specific address (sometimes the geo location) and the name of the electrician that will do the hook-up. Sometimes the electrical utility will require insurance on the system, but that is an easy call to your agent to get a binder. I have never had anyone ask me for a licensed PE to get a mechanical assessment. Fees are not high - maybe a couple hundred $ at most.

Also call SolarEdge and see if they have any experience in this. I do know that Enphase is very helpful and will actually talk with a local permitting person. Had to do this once when the local office did not believe that the Enphase system would shut off (in msec) if it looses grid 240 power. This is CLEARLY stated in the install/specification booklet, but the official wanted somebody to tell him that . . . . You do what you have to do.

If you can do this then go to the next step - cancelling your contract.

Then I would approach the local firm you hired and tell them you are cancelling your contract. Small claims court will do you right.

In your favor, they told you the permits would be done by 11/3 (they did not do this).

Let us know how to help.

Steve

Steve
Roostre (11-10-16)