View Single Post
Old 09-25-15, 09:43 AM   #96
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

The DIY over-current shut-off circuit measures the current, if it goes to 10A (2.4KW), it shuts off the power for 70 seconds.
This keeps the Sanyo from accidentally zooming up to 3.6KW+ and putting too much strain on the system.

~~~~

I have not wash-cleaned the Indoor units yet. I keep an eye on the filters and keep them clean, all year round. I measure their performance and so far nothing is degrading. The filters can be soap and water washed, when needed.
I have added foam seals around the edges of the filters to keep dust out of the coils.

Sanyo #1 has been going off it's meds once in a while and has to be shut completely (breaker-open) down for a full reset. I think it might be the controller aging and getting erratic. But BTU vs watts, it's unchanged.

I have been manually cleaning outdoor units. I use a soft brush to remove the bio-matter from the air intake side of the coils.
Then, I use a leaf blower on the out-put side, to push air (backwards) into the coils, this blows out the dust and smaller bio-matter chunks.

I try to avoid back-spinning the main fan blades too fast..
Since I fear that might generate voltage from the motor, that will feedback into the MOSFETs that control the motor..
Maybe next time I used the backward air clean, I'll tie down the blades.
I'm pretty sure the back-spin won't cause any harm, but don't want to chance it on this old design..