View Single Post
Old 01-25-18, 06:54 PM   #15
oil pan 4
Land owner

And that's how you end up with LEDs that are less efficient than T5 florescent.

And good luck finding single LED fixtures that give 12,000 to 20,000, or even 30,000 lumen. They are out there but they usually have their lumen rating overstated and they are expensive, and still less efficient than T5.

You will be pulling so much wiring, installing so many fixtures to make use of those cheap LEDs it will cost a fortune. And still be less efficient.

Compact LEDs are great for indoor residential lighting where you only need some light. Some where that you need a lot of light over a wide area, not so good.

My wife wants more light in the kitchen, I said alright I will put up one of my T5 fixtures. Because the 3 LED 100w replacements in the middle of the kitchen and 100w replacement cfl over the sink aren't cutting it. She didn't like that idea. I might still do it anyways.
We would be going from less than 4,000 lumen to 12,000 to 20,000 lumen depending on what I put in the fixture.
To get 12,000 lumen with cheap LEDs I would need to put up more than a dozen of them. That means adding boxes, pulling wires, installing fixtures. I would be surprised if I could do it for less than $15 per fixture my self plus it would be an all day project.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 01-25-18 at 07:27 PM..
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote