View Single Post
Old 07-31-14, 05:11 PM   #5
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
My take on this debate starts with what the fuel sources for your electricity is. If you burn mostly coal to make electricity in your area, then use high efficiency gas as your backup but if there is a high degree of solar/wind/gas used to make power then I would use solar with an electric backup.
Currently our electricity generation is 62% coal and only 6% renewable. That will change, but the electric utility is dragging their feet.

Quote:
Either way, nothing compares with a cheap 55% gas tank on cost but should that be the baseline? If so, you will never get close to it doing a solar system.
The particular nat. gas water heater I'm looking at has a .69 energy factor, and I'll insulate it for some small % improvement.

Quote:
Personally, I would get a well insulated electric tank, put one of the DIY 1 ton heat pumps on it for cheap. Add solar after if you want.
Hmmm... I'll have to price that option and figure out how I would plumb the heat pump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote