View Single Post
Old 12-10-17, 05:56 AM   #9
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may
Lightbulb

I just moved again. This time, the place is a house with a basement and a garage. We have been using the garage since before we moved in pretty much constantly. It will continue to be used in this manner for the foreseeable future until I figure out how and where to set up a separate workshop.

The garage has a standard double wide steel door on it and it is uninsulated. The weather has taken a turn towards winter the last week or so, and I need to get the thing to hold in some heat. The Mercury bottomed out around 15 degF last night, and the garage is hovering about 35 this morning. Actual temperature right now is 19 outside, 42 in the garage and 71 in the house. The garage shares one side wall with the house as well as the roof overhead. The garage has only the bay door and one entry door into the house. Not sure if or how well the rear and end walls are insulated yet, but the walls are finished with sheetrock and painted. So even if thearen't filled with insulation, I Know the exterior is osb, tyvek wrap, and vinyl siding.

I'm going at the low hanging fruit first, and right now the garage door is it. I'm not trying to spend hundreds of dollars to insulate the door. At the moment, I'm looking for information from those of you who have been there before. What to use, how to do it with a minimum of materials and labor involved. I am not looking for stellar insulating power, but anything is better than the thin flat conduction plate I have for a wall now.

Attached Images

Last edited by Daox; 12-11-17 at 03:08 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote