View Single Post
Old 05-20-17, 08:10 AM   #5
oil pan 4
Land owner

The impact resistance of concrete is well understood by whom exactly?
Because who ever they are it doesn't appear that they have published much of what they know to the public domain.

I have 2 issues with stucco mesh being too small to help.
1 has anyone actually ever tested that idea?
2 rebar can't be everywhere unless you are going to use hundreds of pounds per yard, this is only 16 pounds per yard in a 4 inch wall and it's everywhere.

It may only be cost effective to use the mesh in small amounts, say to add it around windows and doors or where you have a window next to a door where a real narrow section of wall is created or to use it to build an above ground storm shelter.
I believe that the same thing was said about applying rino liner to masonry buildings to make them more blast resistant; that it's not rebar, it's just thin plastic and won't help.

My stucco tests aren't even 12x12 I am just establishing a base line using scrap pieces cut off my house when I installed larger modern windows.
From my tests I already know larger samples would be better.
It doesn't get any more realistic than testing actual 50 year old stucco.

These are just small scale tests. Where a small control sample will be compared to something else of slightly different composition of the same size.
Large scale tests with larger samples will be later.

Isnt it obvious that roof attachment and foundation attachment are way out side the scope of this why even bring it up? This is only materials testing for the purpose of selection and cost compairson.
Basically I'm comparing OSB to plywood, your talking about how to design a house... Why?
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote