View Single Post
Old 06-07-13, 05:19 PM   #1
peacmar
Lurking Renovator

Default adventures in solid fuel biomass combustion

Well once upon a time I stumbled across this site and I followed ac hacker and his project quite feverishly. Now, after some time and many hours of research and experimenting I can finally make a contribution of my own to this wonderful wealth of knowledge. My story begins in 2009, my wife and I where newly weds and had just purchased our first home. We paid a good price for what we got but I learned quick that an old farm house is just that. Our heat bill was approximately $3500 that first winter and it was a mild winter. Averaged about 40 degrees or more throughout and I began to wonder what it would be like had we gotten a real Wisconsin winter. Only after the next spring while helping the neighbor farmer clear hedges did I get the idea that we needed a wood burner. Especially because in was going to receive all the wood we had cut. About 17 full cords of oak and hickory. From that day searched the internet and researched almost obsessively. I do of course have a disease, its called relentless curiosity. And bless my wife for being so patient with me. In the upcoming days and weeks I am going to try to recount this journey that it has become and try to share the wealth of knowledge I've gained about utilizing renewable resources efficiently in a quest to become entirely energy independant and carbon neutral. Also, please forgive the spelling and grammar mistakes that pop up from time to time. My only access to the internet from home is through a smart phone because of our location and they are not always smart.

That being said, I'll returned. When time permits and continue this then.

Peacmar

peacmar is offline   Reply With Quote