View Single Post
Old 06-22-12, 08:38 PM   #5
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
At some point I would like a form of A/C in the house. I don't plan on using it a ton.
Is that an HVAC joke?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
#2 is that its humid here in Wisconsin in summer. This makes those mid 80 temperatures very sticky and feel hotter than a dry 80 degrees. 80F I don't think would be bad at all if I had a dehumidifier.
My first response is anecdotal...

I constantly haunt thrift stores, partly for bargains, but also because thrift stores act as a museum of failed products. Even though they are pretty new, I see a load of portable A/Cs in the thrift stores... but I have NEVER seen a mini-split in the thrift store.

My next response would be that you should compare EER numbers if you can. Then you'll be comparing apples to apples.

Third is that you can use a mini-split (if it has HP functionality, too) for heating during the shoulder seasons. I don't think that a ASHP would help much when the temp gets below about 5F, depending on the model.

You might also consider running a de-humidifier and fans. If you can get the humidity into the comfort level, your fans might be all you need.

My experience with a mini-split has been very positive, in terms of reliability and efficiency, and not to forget, they are really pleasant to use... virtually no noise or draft.

This is just being me, but when I see a portable A/C, I see right through the cover, as if I had X-Ray vision, and think of all the useful parts I could use for something else.

I say go with the mini... I think you'll be happy with it.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 06-23-12 at 12:38 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote