View Single Post
Old 11-23-10, 10:06 AM   #14
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

As you can see I do not have a heatshield on the walls behind the wood stove. The walls would get really hot, so hot I was afraid of spontaneous combustion.

Did some googling and read about using cement backer board spaced 1 inch off the wall with ceramic electricity insulators. So I went to Lowes and purchased two 4X8 sheets of 3/8 thick cement board.

Unfortunately I do not have any pics of the uncovered cement board.
After putting up the cement board there was very little heat getting to the drywall behind it. Although the cement board itself was getting really hot.
I have the techshield radiant barrier roof decking on my house. You know, it has "tin foil" on the attic side of the roof decking. It reduces the incoming heat radiating into the attic by about 95% if I am not mistaken.
Anyway, I figured I would put tinfoil on the cement board. I did just one strip, 18 inches wide, from top to bottom. Wow, under the tinfoil there was no heat getting to the cement board.
As you can see I covered the entire heatshield with it.
We used Dap Contact Cement to stick the tinfoil to the board.
Really high VOC's. Took 4 days for the fumes to go away.
The tinfoil is cool to the touch and is reflecting all the heat into the living space. The cement board also stays cool.

I know, I know, what about the floor??? Will be getting to that soon. I still have not finished with laying my floor.

I am installing cork flooring. The Van Gogh series that I purchased from Lumber Liquidators.

Last edited by iamgeo; 11-23-10 at 10:08 AM..
iamgeo is offline   Reply With Quote