View Single Post
Old 10-21-15, 12:11 PM   #3
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Ever since purchasing my home, I've had grandeous visions of an insulated/heated setup for my detached garage (a mooney wall setup for those who know what that is)... Well, its 7 years later now and the farthest I've gotten is to staple up some plastic on the ceiling to keep the heat in while I got a heater going out there. I had to swap an engine one winter and that came in real handy. Needless to say I have higher priorities.

So, this morning I see the Menards ad on the table with an insulation ad on the front page. R-11 unfaced fiberglass for $5 after rebate. This would insulate my garage walls for ~$50. So, I'm seriously considering it. I realize that I"ll have thermal bridging issues with just shoving some fiberglass in the walls, but its a heck of a lot better than nothing and I'm not planning on heating it unless I'm out there working on stuff.

My questions are, what are the drawbacks of unfaced insulation for a typically unheated detached garage? Would it be best to put it up and then put plastic over the face (there is no external vapor barrier)? What about rodents? The mice love my garage as it is. Are they going to eat up/nest in the insulation? Is there a way to deal with that? Any other factors I should consider?
It sounds like your time is more valuable than anything. Just doing the batting will definitely save you quite a bit of time (as well as money) so go for it. As far as mice, get an outdoor cat. If you don't want a cat (can't blame you, I am lucky to have a neighbor with an outdoor cat), poison or traps always work.
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote