View Single Post
Old 09-01-13, 07:46 PM   #17
Weather Spotter
I mod my world

Time for another update:

Plumbing is all new. New drains from the septic tank connection to every fixture, new Pex manifolds and runs to each fixture

All the Electric is done (except for one bed room thats yet to be remodeled).

Two leaky widows removed (bathroom and what will be a closet), this took out 20% of windows in the house.

roof patched (minor old tar was coming off making a small leak).

Bathroom is all new!

Kitchen is all New!!!!

utility room is almost done.

Garage is cleaned out, new electric run, work benches and shelf's built....

Still working on the insulation and siding issue. After spending $1400 more then budget on the plumbing and $ 1000 over on electrical. I had to redoing the whole kitchen as some helpers went to town busting out the old cabinets and flooring so that caused more $$$$ to be spent on non energy efficiency upgrades. Now I am living in the house and have used up the fix it up budget

Some things I am noticing, even on hot sunny days the house does not heat up as much as I would expect for a house with no wall insulation. The attic does have ~R22 worth of insulation. If in the morning the house is 70F when I leave for work and I keep it closed up, at 5pm its only up to 74F or so. Outside temps will be in the 90+ F range and it takes over a week of these to get the house up to 80F. Is this the thermal mass effect in action? If so how well will this work in the winter?

How do I calculate U values for a wall thats aluminum siding on 8" cinder blocks with a 1.75" air gap and then a sheet of 3/8" drywall? the wall air gap is mostly blocked off to the attic and eves but not completely, some areas are wide open and with a very shallow roof pitch I cannot get within 4 feet of the wall from the attic. If I even think hard about taking the nailed on original 1953 soft off I will never get it back on

Ideas?

How bad would it be to take off the current siding and insulate and leave the old windows and doors on (sunk in 1-4 inches) till I could afford to replace them?
Weather Spotter is offline   Reply With Quote