View Single Post
Old 02-27-13, 07:57 PM   #34
mincus
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
To do the outside of the house 2nd floor at that would be time consuming EXPENSIVE did I mention expensive.. I know I suggested it..
I have suggested for someone else not to do just for that reason, who has 30-40 grand to toss at an insulation project, Not many people, I can Vouch for that.
Just tear drywall off , extend the inside wall by a 2x6 width, extend the window sills and take 6 inches off the ceiling drywall. Stud it up like a normal wall. Put netting up, blow in Cellulose and dry wall it. Less Painful for the wallet. Doable by any home owner with a good back and basic carpentry skills.
No need to vapor barrier it. Its under the siding already to keep the wet out.
This is exactly what I intend to do, although probably only 2x4 new wall instead of 2x6.

In regards to losing space, moving all kinds of plumbing, etc, none of that is a concern. Every wall I want to extend is a bedroom or a bathroom. I will not have any plumbing to move, or anything else major. The only thing I will have to move is electric. And since I'm taking off the old drywall, this will be quite easy. It also is nice because I would like to add some extra outlets. I had not wanted to do this before because I didn't want to disturb the current drywall. Now I have an excuse :-)

The R value of cellulose is said to be in the mid to high 3's. I believe fiberglass is in the mid to low 3's. When you factor in the fact that fiberglass is impossible to install perfectly, the cellulose seems the clear winner in by book. In addition, one of my main goals is to reduce outside noise. It seems that cellulose is much better than fiberglass at this.

I don't have that much extra overhang for soffit ventilation if I were to put 4 inches on the outside (at minimum what I would want to get the same effect as my inside plan). Plus, that foam probably wouldn't help too much with sound deadening that is at least half the reason for the project.

I am planning on one or two rooms at a time, so definitely a doable job.

Now I'm almost thinking of possibly JUST using cellulose and not putting the 2 inches of XPS. I originally wanted to do that because of the increased R value and air sealing properties. However, if I do 7 inches of dense pack cellulose, would that be pretty good at stopping any air movement? Or should I still stick with the XPS idea?
mincus is offline   Reply With Quote