Thread: Clothes Dryer
View Single Post
Old 02-10-13, 12:14 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_currents View Post
...I am thinking of using a furnace blower, that rotating blade assy that moves a huge volume of air. I have a dryer that I can use for parts...
I see that you are living in Alberta. I'm not sure how the weather is there now, I'd guess it's cold.

I've read from quite a few members on this forum that they have problems with dry air in the winter time. Don't know if that's a problem for you, but if it is you could make the solution to one of your problems (dry air) also be a solution to another of your problems (wet clothes).

I use a normal clothes dryer now. It is electrically operated and gas heated. It's been reliable and fairly economical, but it does have a problem: it, like all other mechanical dryers, shortens the life of clothes because they are subject to so much beating & abrasion during the drying cycle.

I have heard the Europeans tend to not use dryers in part because of energy expense, but even more because of the wearing effect on their clothes.

The drying room idea does make sense in this regard.

But back to your original idea, yes, increasing air flow would increase drying.

Somewhere on this forum (you'd have to search to find it), there have also been some ponderings of making a dryer using a dehumidifier instead of a heating element. I don't think anyone has yet actually tried it.

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 02-10-13 at 05:29 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote