View Single Post
Old 10-13-13, 08:02 AM   #4
sunspot
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohnson View Post
consensus seems to be that insulating the hive helps to cause condensation inside
I think insulation is the unfortunate scapegoat for poor ventilation. Condensation occurs on relatively colder surfaces. Want to reduce condensation on the inside of that quonset hut, boat hull, cargo van? Insulate. Double pane vs single pane windows - the difference is insulation. Most of us have seen frost on the inside of an SUV windshield but not so many on the headliner. Don't want a wet ring on your table? Slip that cold beverage in a foam sleeve.

But wrapping a hive, or any other living, respirating thing (insulated or not), in plastic - vapour barrier - without ventilation is sure to lead to humidity issues I agree. I've been using a top entrance exclusively on my hives and, while reduced to roughly 25% in area for the winter, I'm hoping that supplies the necessary venting. The screened bottom board, again choked for winter, should let some fresh air in.

Time will tell I guess. I'll post the results of this little experiment in the spring when I remove the foam.

Thanks for replying Hikerjohnson. It's good to know there are other beekeepers on this board. And the site you referenced, Beesource, has been invaluable to me thus far.

Cheers, Greg
sunspot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunspot For This Useful Post:
hikerjohnson (10-17-13)