Thread: the Power Shed
View Single Post
Old 11-20-11, 02:00 PM   #12
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Nice. The system just ate my latest update. Usually I ctrl+C copy my replies as I go along ... but not today.

So. As I remember writing:

I've started wiring up the solar shed. I have the combiner box, the controller and the fuse for the inverter in place.

The combiner box came with 1/2" knockouts. But I, not reading the manual, thought 3/4" fittings would better accommodate my 6 gauge wire. It's "rocket scientist" John to the rescue. John has a complete complement of knockout cutting thingies (a technical term I'll update later) and we were able to cut 1.125" knockouts that fit my 3/4" fittings nicely.

The controller advertising boasted "Now with 1.5" knockouts." Well I must have received an older model because my knockouts are for 1.25 fittings. Which oddly enough means that they are correct for the conduit I incorrectly received from the electrical store, but incorrect for the 1.5" fittings I bought. Be taking a drive; Tuesday I hope.

I am dearly tempted to kludge (an old computer programming term, meaning to smack together, or a crude hack) a wiring setup just to get the system running. But I will try to stay patient.

One bit of progress though: I went to Hugh's Isolera install and he kindly allowed me to measure his winter setting on the panels. 56 degrees is the number. I'm at 45 degrees latitude so somewhat inside the 15 degree rule of thumb (or 60 degrees). I really like the Isolara folks having met the owner several times. Very helpful and willing to pass on knowledge.

That's it for now. Pics etc. to come anon.
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote