Thread: Heatpump HRV.
View Single Post
Old 01-06-17, 08:27 PM   #1
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Heatpump HRV.

The quest for efficiency goes on. Our home in Canada sports a HRV however two problems prevailed. While the HRV is operating in extremely cold winter weather the incoming cold air is unable to be warmed by the outgoing exhaust air with the result of cooling the home. The second problem was the fan motor stopped as a result of a dry bearing. (easy fix and why the hell would a company use a cheap oil-lite bearing and not a sealed ball bearing????)

During winter I would disable the HRV. The utility room containing the HRV would get so cold.

Here is a opportunity for improvement. A little thought lead me to think that huge improvements can be made with active heat transfer. A small compressor and two heat exchange coils would move the heat to the desired air stream.

A small compressor from a dehumidifier and a moderate airflow through the HX coils should do the trick.

Another thought, would the system benefit more from omitting the exhaust airs HX and use the heat energy from my Geo-thermal ground loop via a brazed plate HX.

What do you fellows think.??

Randen

Can someone open and paste the drawing??

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf HRV.pdf (126.1 KB, 507 views)

Last edited by Daox; 01-13-17 at 04:53 PM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote