View Single Post
Old 03-22-12, 03:12 PM   #2
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The big problem, not surprisingly, is cost of retrofitting. The process isn't common, because the up front cost falls on the current building owner. Since all future owners will benefit, one suggestion is to have the cost of the upgrade made available in a public (gov't) loan which is repaid over time through an additional fee on the property tax bill.
Does this also mean that the cost of washing my car, changing its oil and buying new tires, not to mention the cost of any auto repairs, should also be paid for by the taxpayers, for the future owner of the car will also benefit from the upgrading I do to the car while I own it.

Sheesh. The government isn't some entity which has its own money, the government's money is my money, my neighbor's money, and so on. When the government takes our money away from us to give it to other home owners, that means that we've got less of the money we worked for to spend on ourselves and our families.

What I'd suggest this guy do is a test to see how popular his scheme is. He should make an announcement that he is collecting money for this program and that people will receive the proceeds of the loan repayments which arise from the money that they invest. If people think that this is a better use for their money than what they had intended to spend it on, then that speaks to the merit of his idea. If, however, he doesn't get many takers, then that loudly and clearly declares that people think that they have better uses for the money that they've earned than directing it to this scheme. Injecting government stealing money from people and playing Robin Hood doesn't change the fundamental dynamics here.
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote