View Single Post
Old 11-16-11, 12:21 PM   #15
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
I'll be 66 in January, so I'm learning how to do short term planning..
Quote:
My advice is not to go overboard with EcoRenovations, if you live where they aren't needed but 2 or 3 times a year, (for 3 hours).
Xringer is probably right, if you are not expecting to live very long, AND you live in a climate area where there are less than 10 Heating Degree Days AND less than 10 Cooling degree Days per year, then insulation upgrades are probably not worth pursuing.

There are areas in the world, closer to the equator, and high enough in the mountains to escape the uncomfortable heat, where there is little shift in comfortable daily temperature from season to season, and where neither heating nor cooling are ever required, and it would follow, no insulation ever required, either.

By the way, I just checked Heating Degree Day map for the lower 48 states, and there is no region in the lower 48 states where the combined heating and cooling degree days is less than 20. In other words, there is no place where insulation should be neglected.

Quote:
I'll be 66 in January, so I'm learning how to do short term planning..

So, only one's anticipation of imminent departure from this earthly realm remains as a suitable rationale for neglecting robust insulation and sealing...

BTW, I have checked the insulation standards for both heaven and hell, and the insulation standards for heaven are quite high, even above Passive House standards. Houses are well sealed with high efficiency ERVs providing healthful fresh air. Every window has multi-pane windows with double Low-E coatings for your comfort, as you gaze out into the magnificent vistas, that you would expect to find in a class act such as heaven.

The standards for hell, not surprisingly, are very low. All rooms in hell are drafty at any time of the day or night, the smell of brimstone is inescapable (even Satan has gotten into recycling, and the brimstone is being made from the effluent of coal-based power generation). Night time temperatures are extremely cold... and since the utility costs are not subsidized, power costs (you still have to pay) are unreasonably high and will only go higher. The daytime temperatures, as one would expect, are unimaginably scorching and there is no hope at all for dehumidification in hell, ever. The views out of the leaky, single-pane windows are of neighbors who are miserable, unemployed and suffering in their houses, too.

Best of Luck...

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 11-17-11 at 12:42 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote