View Single Post
Old 06-13-17, 07:34 PM   #214
Sccoupe
Helper EcoRenovator

So this evening, I was able to drop a 3/4", 100psi hdpe ubend into one 90 foot hole.

Here is the fusing unit that showed up. The sockets are metric, but I was mainly interested in cheap easy heat. I cut up a cheap teflon pan from Big Lots as shown by AC_Hacker and used vise grips and one set of sockets to mount big rectangular plates to the iron. Using one of the touchless laser thermometers, it shows between 550 and 570F.

Made a couple of blocks cut with a miter saw from 1-1/4" hdpe plate picked up on ebay and drilled two 3/4" holes in each at 90 degree angles.

Then fused one block to the end of each pipe trying to stay close to one edge but leaving about 1/16" or so from the pipe to the edge of the block because there will be a little squish when the blocks go together. I gave the block about 20 seconds on the fuser and the pipe about 15 seconds.

Next up was to fuse the blocks together. The blocks were clamped together to be straight and then the pipe taped together a couple a feet back. Then just spread, heat, and fuse.

Next, since the hole is only 2" diameter, the blocks were shaved down. It fits in the hole! No pressure testing yet, i'll pull it out later to test, but no detectable water loss at this testing stage. I ordered and received the claimed thinnest ubend connection available and it didnt fit the hole I drilled. They shouldnt say that they have the thinnest any more. Mine is 1/2" thinner.

This is the 8000btu window unit with the added 1 ton coaxial HX. This is just all hacked together for the moment. Using the laser temp gauge on the pipes after two hours of running, the water out temp is 100F and the water in is 80F. This has been slowly increasing at about a 20F spread. The water started at 53F as I pre filled it from the main well. This is only one 90 foot hole, no grout yet, and the water is about 30 feet from the surface. I'll drop another set of pipes to the other 90 foot hole and add them in tomorrow. The pump is only a cheap 1gpm 12v pump, again only testing, this cannot be a final solution.

I'm just happy to see that heat is being moved into the ground. A reversing valve has been ordered to be able to use it for some test heating as well. Its just running in the garage, but its about 78F ambient and the A/C output is at about 55F. Its not even charged correctly unless I just happened to get lucky. Need to study up on a range of items to get it all tuned in.
Sccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sccoupe For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (08-24-17), jeff5may (06-13-17), Ron342 (06-13-17)