View Single Post
Old 02-25-16, 01:39 PM   #19
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I have had some experience with both CaCl solutions and the sodium acetate hand warmer packets. Please note that I am not a salt research scientist, nor any other form of pedigreed professional. Take my comments with a grain of whatever you see fit.

The experience i had with the calcium salt was awesome! I used it in a desiccant waterfall dehumidifier like the LEAF home demonstrated. I cobbled it together using a little feng shui fountain indoors that held maybe 2 gallons total volume. It was plumbed with an overflow like a toilet.

Outdoors, I assembled a solar desalinator out of half of an old sliding glass door (maybe 2 square meters), some spare HDPE pond liner, and some 1" XPS board. The water was drained to waste, and did not kill the flowers it fed with salt poisoning. I fed the indoor fountain with a little solar fountain pump, same thing I run in the 5 gallon waterfarm buckets instead of an air pump. The assembly was not super airtight, and held about 8 gallons of salt water. I filled it with a saturated mixture of pet-safe ice melt and tap water mixed up above the wonky point on the saturation chart. The most active region for this evaporator was in the 120 - 180 degF range, perfect for any functioning solar collector. On a hot day, the brine solution climbed up into the 150's in the collector.

I did this stuff somewhere around this point in this thread:http://ecorenovator.org/forum/33290-post42.html
I wish I had taken pictures of it. I tried it out in my parents' south-facing sunroom for about a week. When it worked, I moved it to grandma's house to dehumidify her dank basement. It kept her phase-change dehumidifier from running down to about 20% rh until the lawnmower man threw a rock into the sliding door while cutting the back lawn. Rather than rebuilding the rig, I pretty much repurposed it into the garbage.

The acetate hand warmer bags I had worked pretty well for a few years, maybe 4 or 5. I had three of them, and none of them popped or leaked. I used them on hunting trips and such. One day, they turned up missing, and I didn't replace them. A friend who worked at a warehouse gave me a big box of hot hands packages that fell off a truck or something. The hot hands packs stay warmer for longer in your pocket, but cannot be recharged. I probably put the acetate bags through 200 cycles or more, plus what other people used them also. They worked as good the last time as when they were new.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
Mobile Master Tech (02-26-16)