View Single Post
Old 09-11-08, 05:31 PM   #4
GenKreton
Lurking Renovator

Send a message via AIM to GenKreton

My parents have two identically sized square plots that I made for them. We used some spare 2x4's and created a raised perimeter and put compost and some fertilizer (ugh) inside. They are about 6'x6' or 7'x7.' Anyways it helps feed 4-5 adults providing veggies from peppers, tomatoes, onions, basil and other herbs, lettuce, green beans, brussel sprouts, summer squash, and a few other things. My father ends up donating a sizable amount to the local soup kitchen and giving some more tomatoes to people in the neighborhood.

Your planned garden is almost exactly 50% larger although you are feeding more people too. It depends on what you plant to a large degree because some plants need to be seeded farther apart than others, but you will definitely get a good amount of food to at least assist with your grocery bills.

The best thing I personally think you could do would be to get something like one of those used wine barrels they sell as a package for composting. They seem to work amazing. One key to composting is getting a system that you can actively turn . I think one of the more important aspects to gardening is trying to do it without fertilizers and pesticides.
GenKreton is offline   Reply With Quote