View Single Post
Old 04-09-16, 11:11 AM   #14
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Energy Star hot water heater is in

I appreciate it, Elcam. The new hot water heater is in and they installed a pressure relief valve at the same time. The difference is noticeable: our bath faucets used to leak when taking a shower, but they just trickle now.

A new blog post talks about whether it is worthwhile to buy an Energy Star model. I don't need to tell you guys this, but it definitely is. The cost difference (basic vs. Energy Star) was ~$150, the warranty is twice as long, the burner is more powerful, we should save ~$30/year on gas...

Then we get a $100 rebate from Texas Gas Service, which basically brings the cost difference to zero. It amazes me that most people aren't doing it. The plumbers looked at us kind of funny when we said, "We want Energy Star," then they tried to explain how it would cost thousands of dollars more. Total bull****.

Here's the model we got:
Rheem 38-gallon Energy Star

And another interesting model. It's tiny, but it heats the water very quickly, so it can keep up with the big boys:
Rheem Performance Platinum XR90 29 Gal. Tall 12 Year 60,000 BTU Natural Gas Water Heater-XG29T12XR60U0 - The Home Depot

I'm going to need to reorganize that blog pretty soon, it's getting large.

Last edited by ME_Andy; 04-09-16 at 11:59 AM..
ME_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote