View Single Post
Old 04-26-12, 09:33 AM   #37
Drake
DIY Guy

Sorry for the bad addresses I tried coping the address line from each website that I have saved on my desk. Searching for "transpired air collectors" or "preheating fresh air" should find them.

I have not had a blower test done on our current home but after an full gut remodel, insulation upgrade and air sealing effort just to the point of needing an HRV. Heating with a gas furnace on an 8 degree night mid day double setback(8 hrs ea) our furnace rarely comes on more than once during setback periods except on coldest/windiest winter periods. It would make sense to me that if we were having a .35ACH or higher than we would have to be heating enough air to replace the whole house every three hours or more than twice each set back requiring the furnace to run much more than it does. Calculating exact furnace Btu consumption is not easy as we have several gas appl the are run year round are on a yearly leveled payment plan and rates change(increase) every year. After thirty years of clean living in this space with no ill effects humidity(sweating windows even on low E windows) from a few too many green plants(I got carried away raising orchids a couple of years). So unless I'm misunderstanding .35 ACH, a full house air change every three hours, it seems high. One day last winter(when my wife was gone) I opened the house for till it felt about ambient with outside(one full ACH), furnace off, then closed up and turned furnace on. It ran for nearly an hour to reheat space. Much more than it already does to heat what should be 2 full AC's. Not scientific but I've also seen a lot of good looking numbers "crunched" that don't reflect reality. Somewhere the two should match up to me.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote