View Single Post
Old 05-12-15, 04:45 PM   #20
Drake
DIY Guy

I had two windows that were frosting on the northern wall of our redone 50's home even though they were quality double glazed windows. One in upstairs bath and one above kitchen sink. both get severe north wind exposure at times. The bath is a 24x36 DH that I made a frame of 1x2 to fit inside sill so it is 2 on the face. I stapled Lg bubble wrap facing in on each side(popped all bubble touching wood frame and tacked down with thin 1/8x1/2" wood strips) and put another layer of bubble wrap between(so three layers of bubble wrap. Put "V" weather strip on all edges so when put in place it also seal air infil. Stained all wood to match window trim. Been working and looking great for over 15 yrs. Lost a couple of bubbles over the years may have to replace wrap soon. Don't worry about no view as I fake frosted the glass already for privacy.

Kitchen window is about same size but casement so I made a second screen frame without screen and put shrink plastic on each side so it is double glazed. Just pull out screen in winter and put in the "storm" insert. than seal gap between it and sill with cheap transparent tape to stop air infix. Neither ever frosts anymore and lose much less heat and still have security view my wife wants onto driveway and service door.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote