View Single Post
Old 07-24-15, 07:31 PM   #110
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

If you have standing water on concrete, by all means continue running the dehumidifier until it is no longer wet and then leave it off until it rains or is otherwise wet again. My personal dew point maximum is 55 degrees in order to prevent condensation behind insulated spaces in my basement. You need both temperature and relative humidity to determine moisture levels and the condensation temperature(dew point) of a space. I use this site to determine dew point.
Dew Point Calculator

"Our main problem with cooling is that we currently have one 8k BTU AC but really "need" 18k BTU if my calculations are correct."

How long would you say the 8k unit runs continuously on a day 96 degree day with full sun? What temperature do you have the unit set to? How hot does it get at its highest on a 96 degree day with full sun while it is running continuously?

"Several people have told me that I need more venting in the attic as well but not convinced it won't run my winter bills up. Will help in summer sure but not sure about winter."

The better your air sealing and insulation, the less impact reduced ventilation has on the indoor temperature. If your attic is flat with no walls facing an attic(like in a 1.5 story house), sealing up the plumbing, electrical, and other penetrations and adding insulation to R50 and adding ventilation no longer has a deep impact and it helps you in the winter. Regarding additional ventilation causing increased bills in the winter, I wouldn't expect that because if you have snow on the roof, you aren't getting heat from the attic anyway. ..which with proper insulation you won't really get any benefit anyway.

Is being married a vice you can get rid of? - Uhh, I've managed to avoid that vice so far. I can empathize based on the frustration of my peers, but I prefer to stay out of answering this one. :P

Hopefully this helps. I'm curious how big your place is and how many big southern facing windows it has.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote