View Single Post
Old 07-22-15, 05:05 PM   #107
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorander6 View Post
I'm a little depressed really. Looking at my usage since we bought our house we have averaged around 33.74 KwH per day since September of last year when we bought our house just for electric (haven't looked at gas yet.) 1056 SF house with full basement and no central AC but have a window unit running all the time during the hot days. Wife is home all day. Some spikes I can easily figure out like running the dryer as I usually do that on Sundays. Average high of 78.69 F and low of 62.48 for the last 3 months I have daily records of.

Now to figure out what I can do with a budget of 0$.........

Forgot appliances:
Gas Water Heater and Heat, electric rest, running a dehumidifier downstairs. 8k BTU AC upstairs just replaced a very old 5k one with. PC's, laptops, LCD TV used occasionally. Old upright freezer (may be next thing to look at if I can find one cheap/free)

Edit 3: Ok, if I am doing my math right I use between 17-20 Kwh of electric (per day) in the fall, winter, and spring and 50Kwh (per month) of gas in the winter. During the summer I use 50ish Kwh of electric (per day) and > 1 Kwh of gas per day. Dec - Mar this year were unusually cold and snowy for us.
If the usage is correct, you actually have a big budget. It may be worth it to beg/borrow.... enough for a high seer ductless that will de-humidify as well. It can pay for itself quickly. Many of the boys here have found them quite cheaply.

Otherwise, start changing out one light bulb at a time. Forget smokes and beer (or whatever your vise is) and do it...
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesolar For This Useful Post:
zorander6 (07-23-15)