View Single Post
Old 01-28-13, 12:03 AM   #376
pladijs
Lurking Renovator

Thanks a lot, really, I will surely have a look at it, but I have some urgent work to do the next few days/weeks so you wont be hearing from me.

I was just trying out this software, which claims to allow to calculate pressure drops specifically for their heat exchangers. I should hope that if i pick on of their models with similar dimensions, it should match with an error of say 50%.

Software Tools - Heatex

I'm still waiting for my download link. clicking "download (0)" on this suspicious looking site worked as well, however. HEATEX Select 4.9 Download Freeware by Heatex AB

I must say I am kind of hesitating now between cross and counter flow. My initial plan with the alu-frames was quite similar to the one of Fornax, so essentially counter-flow. As that turned into a big mess with the alu-foil, I gave up on that; but I always liked the concept of counter flow, given the clear advantages. If I build a counter-flow one, I will probably recycle the "box" I have already finished. It's quite big, 0.42mX0.8mX0.4m (or so, this is by heart), that would give a huge surface.

But one of the reasons I am a bit afraid of going for a counter flow version is that it would be harder to clean, having to take out all these 0.42mX0.8m frames becomes a mess, how do you handle them, how do you clean them; quite a bit of work. I guess if one lets the fresh air flow between the plates (and not in the small channels), one can more easily clean the most important surface. But still, considering the smaller cross-flow cores, if you would glue them up completely, it seems to me you could simply pop pop those into a dishwasher once a year or so and have it done with. Seems like a major advantage. In that sense your model might not be so scaleable, unless i'm missing something. But in all honesty, I doubt that when using some minimal filtering, it would be a serious health risk not clean the core for a year or 2, no? Please tell me if that is a crazy statement.

Kostas, hope you are reading this, is it me, or is there a difference in the height of your cores in the inital pictures you sent and the latest ones? seems like they shrunk? is there a reason for that? Could just be my eyes of course.

I am slowly shifting to somewhat larger fans, now also looking at this one
DC axial compact fan - 4412 /2HHP by ebm-papst

For 13 Watts, that seems quite powerfull with 60CFM@100Pa. (But I realise 60CFM might be a joke to many here).
pladijs is offline   Reply With Quote